Sunday, March 24, 2013

Weekend Sewing and Cleaning


I have so many UFO's (UnFinished Objects) it is scary. This weekend I thought I would attempt to go for the "lowest hanging fruit" and complete a few items that have been hanging around the house almost done for years, months or days.

I started out with the last project we made at my patchwork club, just last week. I figured if I did not finish it now it would never get done. I will lose pattern pieces. So here it is. We made a chicken apron. Not normally my style, but I thought it would be fast and easy so I decided to participate in making one. It is rather cute and best of all it is DONE!

The second project I did was to make a scarf out of some extra fleece that was left over from another project. Due to winter extending into Spring, some use might come of it this year. The rest of the fleece became pillows and this was what was left over.

The third project is the oldest of the 3. It dates from March 2011 when I took a week long Teacher Licensing called "Sewing for Baby". I thought the Pleated Maternity blouse was cute so I made it in a size small. 

I will never use it but I should be able to find someone who will. All that is left is to remove the water soluble stabilizer across the front. At licencing I had completed everything but the hemming of both the sleeves and the hem. It was so close to finishing I just had to pull it out and get it done.

Along with sewing this weekend I have been cleaning. It has been 6 months since the last time I cleaned my sewing room. Actually it is not a room, it is a table next to a window in the office. I have some shelves where I store my stash and it had gotten unmanageable. I hate cleaning all at once since I get tired and pretty soon I am not doing a good job. I find that cleaning for an hour and then giving myself permission to do something fun is a great way to get things done over time. For the last 3 days I have been doing exactly that I have spent 2 hours a day, one in the morning and one in the afternoon cleaning. Here is what my shelves look like now. Notice how all my fabrics are so nicely folded!

Located on the upper right you will notice some empty shelves. They are empty because all of my boxes of heirloom items which include all of my old lace and anything vintage embroidered is getting sorted so that they can be put back on the shelves in boxes. I would really like to be able to find them instead of having to search through multiple boxes.

Off to do another hour co cleaning - I will be sorting out my lace boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment